Monday 13 September 2010

Remember - You're the boss!

I've mentioned in a previous post that in a previous life, I was a publican.

One thing I remember from those glass polishing amateur psychology days was how we treated customers differently. The classic cliché of "the customer is always right" was obeyed as part of good service but never at the expense of the business. So my question is.....

"When was the last time you told a customer to get out?"

Back in the day, my pub was MY PUB. In my eyes the customers were extremely lucky to be patrons of such a fine establishment. If you didn't like that, as my regulars would have told you, please don't let the door hit you on the ass on your way out. As publicans we did things slightly differently, yes you were a valued customer, but we were the boss, not you.

We had a pride and belief in our product and venue, if you stepped out of line we'd simply refuse to serve you. This transferred itself onto other customers, allowing them to take pride in the success of the pub too.

Ok, I know, I'm waxing lyrical. (Queue the hovis music.) But we seem to spend longer arguing and dealing with difficult customers than we do helping the good ones. Pride and belief has turned into fear of loss and the customer has all the power.

You are the provider, they are the customer. If you don't want to do something, say no. If they don't want to pay for your high quality product it's there loss, not yours. They'll probably throw the toys out and threaten to never darken your door again, but they will, and they'll be much better customers second time round.

Treat your business like a publican treats his pub. Its the best service and value in the world and the customers need look no further! I bet that's what your website says about you already so it's time to put that into practice. And if they give you any trouble......

Get out, you're barred.

No comments:

Post a Comment